Saturday 7 March 2015

Acceptability

Over the years I have often wondered why modellers accept certain 'finishing' standards.

To give an example. Why do modellers spend countless hours fussing over a locomotive, but then will have crude or unrealistic trackswork, scenery or running at high speed.

I assist in building sets for our local ameature theatre group. The fist thing the foreman advised me when I vounteered my services, "Remember the 3, 4, 5 rule". I'm no theatre person, but I knew he was not talking about Pythagoras Theory! He was stating the obvious, being that the set is on show for 3 weeks, the audience does not see 4 sides and the audience are 5 meters away from it.

In some ways we use this theory to rationalize in our minds what is acceptable. Many modellers use the 3 foot rule of what you can see. I know as I get older and the eyes poorer, the are something's that are not important. Our ability to be visual and 'fill in the gaps' with our mind should be remembered and not underestimated.

A fellow modeller has coke vending machine on his n scale platform for his n scale customers. Now you can see some colors and shapes, but instantly you know what it is and can relate to it.

I do not claim to be a Master Modeller, good luck and well done to those of you who are. I take my hat off to you. Me, I'm the type that tries his best and takes advice, wisdom and encouragement from my fellow, modelling peers.

So what level of acceptance for standards and ability do you demonstrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment