Wednesday 18 November 2015

The Journey or Destination? What is you love for the hobby?


There has been recent discussion in the magazines (and also amoungst my fellow modellers) as to which answer is correct from our own point of view.

I must say outright, that for me it is the Journey.

The problem solving along the way, the long term plan that I had when I started this latest version of my current layout, means I love the journey. The Destination will come naturally. Whether it is the layout being finished, or indeed me being finished. The Destination will come.

Over the 26ish years I have been building the layout, I have indicated to my learned friends that "Yes, I can finish it for an exhibition". Only to see those deadlines come and go and a no show from me and my layout. I'm sure this has been disappointing to all concerned. I know it has been for me. However a wise modelling fiend of many years said to me once, "A Model Railways is a hobby, not a living thing".  Poignant words. Especially when recently a number of layouts I have known have disappeared (for many different reasons)and the heartfelt sadness we all collectively felt as we ran on those systems for the last time.

If we recall our favourite moments in life, they are generally the memories of journeys and what happened along the way getting to the destination. For me personally, as much as I would love to exhibit my layout (and it was built to be exhibited) if it happens it happens. If it does not, then obviously I have not reached my destination.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu
Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)  

2 comments:

  1. The journey. No doubt about that at all. I will never 'finish' my layout. Even if I was to get close (unlikely), there will always be stuff to be 'improved'. In fact, I'm planning to tear up the track at Gene Autry and re-lay it, during April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same as you Ron. I'm going to make some changes over spring/summer, for now that Dennis and I have operated a bit, you can see where enhancements should occur.

    Noel

    ReplyDelete