Saturday 23 November 2013

What sort of modeller am I?

Over the yeas of my involvement in the hobby it has always been interesting to listen to the response from fellow modellers to this question.

There is the old "I model the Victorian Railways", NSWGR, SantaFe, Union Pacific etc.

Personally I do not see myself as that sort of modeller. I see myself as modelling a concept. A concept of shifting iron ore from a mine loading facility to a wharf shipping facility.

I have attempted to capture the key indicators of such a system in a very limited way. The room for my layout is not big. I live on the opposite side of Australia to where the mining takes place. I cannot run scale length trains. Some of the early motive power and rolling stock are not available commercially. I enjoy the 'physical/strong' nature of mining and associated equipment.

Western Enterprise Ore Carrier
Mine 1 Flood Loader

Dumper

No comments:

Post a Comment